more, I wouldn't hesitate to place a regular order again. Congratulations

Donald Peters 

posted: 9 Jan 2008 21:30

Roderic Cameron

Teignmouth, Devon

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Thanks for the kind comments :) - some more photos at Sheffield Park and Oakworth have been added subsequently.

posted: 10 Jan 2008 06:53

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Beware: Advertising plug:

Just a brief note to advise that almost all those items photographed - and many that were not, are available as 7mm lost wax castings in the C+L Finescale range.

They will be on display at St. Albans this coming weekend, both for sale and in some quantity on 'Llaniog'.

Regards

Brian Lewis

posted: 10 Jan 2008 14:41

Roderic Cameron

Teignmouth, Devon

But not in 4mm Brian? :?

posted: 10 Jan 2008 16:03

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Roderic Cameron wrote:

No. Well not yet anyway.

Did you notice on the pic of the FPL on the Keighley and Worth Rly, how short the planing was on the switch?  I have noticed this on other turnouts there - and also on the NYM Rly.

Regards

Brian Lewis

Carrs - - C+L Finescale.

http://www.finescale.org.uk

posted: 10 Jan 2008 20:39

John Watt

Ludlow - United Kingdom

Purely with self interest in mind any sort of idea when they might be available in 4mm (in particular the point rodding stool which are a swine to make from the Brassmasters etch) ?

John
Brian Lewis wrote: No. Well not yet anyway.

Roderic Cameron wrote:

posted: 10 Jan 2008 22:31

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Hi John,

It might be quicker if you 'traded up' to 7mm. If you look at the 7mm components you will see that the clevis's on the compensating cranks are fully functional, etc. i.e. they were designed to work or be cosmetic - your choice. Mastering items like this in 4mm would be an absolute nightmare. And there is another consideration, producing the masters would be significantly more complex and hence, more costly that it did in producing them in 7mm. Consider:

For years our house has been a 'Tesco free zone' and I have been fascinated by Hugh F Ws campaign on Channel 4 over the last 3 evenings. ( http://www.tescopoly.org is even more interesting). Now the crux of the argument is that it will be almost impossible to wean folk off cheap subsidised food - hence the enormous sales of '2 for a fiver' chickens and the associated animal cruelty.

I have to say that 4mm modellers are of a similar outlook. 'Fed' on components produced by 'kitchen table' manufacturers, sold at a price which did/does not equate to a commercial rate, I do seriously doubt if they would be prepared to pay an economic cost for these items.

Regards

Brian Lewis

Carrs  -  C+L Finescale.

http://www.finescale.org.uk

posted: 11 Jan 2008 01:12

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Brian Lewis wrote:
Did you notice on the pic of the FPL on the Keighley and Worth Rly, how short the planing was on the switch?
Brian,

It looks like it might be an A switch if the pitch of the timbers is around 2' 6".  If so,  we folks who cram a quart into a pint pot have found a prototype:)

Jim.

posted: 11 Jan 2008 02:43

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
It looks like it might be an A switch if the pitch of the timbers is around 2' 6".  If so,  we folks who cram a quart into a pint pot have found a prototype :)
Hi Jim,

I doubt it. :) A switches always look much more "industrial" than this.

Lens perspective can be very misleading. My guess is a B7 or B7.5 -- it's a straight turnout so amenable to some gimping. I'll see what I can do. :)

Anyone else gimping track? The gimp example pages on the Templot web site get a huge number of hits, but there is very little feedback. See: http://www.templot.com/martweb/info_files/gimp_track.htm

regards,

Martin.

posted: 11 Jan 2008 04:18

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:
My guess is a B7 or B7.5

Rewind on that -- I'm now going for B6.5 :)

First off is to count the chairs -- this is easiest for the curved stock rail, and I make it 24 between the switch front rail joint (marked red) and the near end of the check rail. I've lightened the image to make counting easier:

harrogatehaworth_light.jpgharrogatehaworth_light.jpg
© Roderic Cameron

I've gimped the image and re-sized it based on the length of the check rails and the most likely length of the top of the FPL plate (which I've assumed to be in the same plane as the rail top). It turns out that a B6.5 CLM (6.46 RAM) with generic crossing fits quite well, and that just happens to have 24 timbers between the rail joint and the check rail (timbers J2 - T11):

harrogatehaworth_b65.pngharrogatehaworth_b65.png

harrogatehaworth_b65_1.pngharrogatehaworth_b65_1.png

I will post a few more notes about the gimping later. Anyone else tried it? :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 11 Jan 2008 04:49

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Jim Guthrie wrote:
It looks like it might be an A switch if the pitch of the timbers is around 2' 6".  If so,  we folks who cram a quart into a pint pot have found a prototype :)
Hi Jim,

I doubt it. :) A switches always look much more "industrial" than this.

Lens perspective can be very misleading. My guess is a B7 or B7.5 -- it's a straight turnout so amenable to some gimping. I'll see what I can do. :)
Martin,

I was looking at another picture of an FPL,  the broadside shot uner the caption

"Facing point lock (FPL) and cover (also with integrated signal wire locking bars)"

In that shot it looked as though the planing was a tad longer than the pitch of three timbers which would be about 5' 6".

I wondered how you were going to Gimp that shot. :)

Jim.

posted: 11 Jan 2008 05:01

Martin Wynne

Jim Guthrie wrote:
I was looking at another picture of an FPL,  the broadside shot uner the caption

"Facing point lock (FPL) and cover (also with integrated signal wire locking bars)"

In that shot it looked as though the planing was a tad longer than the pitch of three timbers which would be about 5' 6".

I wondered how you were going to Gimp that shot. :)
Hi Jim,

You mean this one?

bridgnorth190907060gw4.jpgbridgnorth190907060gw4.jpg
© Roderic Cameron

Isn't that at Bridgnorth? I thought Brian was discussing Rod's picture of the FPL at Oakworth on the KWVR?

Have I gimped the wrong pic? :(

regards,

Martin.

posted: 11 Jan 2008 12:19

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Isn't that at Bridgnorth? I thought Brian was discussing Rod's picture of the FPL at Oakworth on the KWVR?

Have I gimped the wrong pic? :(
Martin.

I don't know :).

I went to the RMWEB URL and looked for a picture of an FPL with what looked like short planing.  Maybe Brian can sort this out :)

Jim.

posted: 11 Jan 2008 22:49

Roderic Cameron

Teignmouth, Devon

Martin, you gimped the right one - Brian was referring to the K&WVR picture.

posted: 12 Jan 2008 06:32

Adrian

Martin Wynne wrote
Anyone else gimping track? The gimp example pages on the Templot web site get a huge number of hits, but there is very little feedback. See: http://www.templot.com/martweb/info_files/gimp_track.htm
I've just started having a go, trying to get this three way sized

[sorry I can't seem to get multiple attachments in firefox or opera so it's going to be multiple messages!]

Adrian
Attachment: attach_201_3way.jpg 1954

posted: 12 Jan 2008 06:34

Adrian

Following the gimp guide it was fairly simple to get it loaded as a background shape into Templot. Looking at the photo it seemed like the switch on the centre road was straight and so I used this as my reference point.

Attachment: attach_203_3way_1.png 1496
Last edited on 12 Jan 2008 06:37 by Adrian
posted: posted: 12 Jan 2008 06:38

Adrian

I then started on the RH turnout.

Attachment: attach_204_3way2.png 1549

12 Jan 2008 06:38

Adrian

Followed by the LH turnout.
Attachment: attach_205_3way3.png 1526

posted: 12 Jan 2008 06:54

Adrian

Finally without the timbering, so a reasonable match but a few inconsistancies.

So feedback time. It was surprisingly quick to achieve a reasonable match, better than I originally though I would due to the position of the photographer. Your examples have more of a birds eye view and I did think I'd struggle with the shot being low level. Still I think I've managed to match reasonably, although I dare say Martyn could improve on it.

Am I happy with the result? Actually no, I think I've stretched the length too much, printing off the template it doesn't seem to have quite the same sharp angles as the photo. The templete just doesn't look right to me at the moment. I think I'll come back to it another night and shorten the image a bit and try to match it again.

Overall I think the process works very well and I will definitely be using it again. The main problem I had was that once "gimped" the resultant image was very much compressed in length due to the perspective. As mentioned in your notes the actual track width is not too difficult to match with a bit of plain track in place. The big big variable for me was the length, I found it very difficult to match the length. This attempt is matching on the sleepers around the first switch but this doesn't really work around the crossings.

I'll try again tomorrow and see if I get anything I'm happy with.
Adrian

[ps. The only problem in studying this in such detail is that I have just noticed that the 3way turnout on the prototype has changed. I have two photo's which notional look the same 3 way turnout but in detail are obviously different!]
Attachment: attach_206_3way4.png 1502
Last edited on 12 Jan 2008 07:02 by Adrian
posted: 12 Jan 2008 07:01

Martin Wynne

Adrian wrote:
I've just started having a go, trying to get this three way sized

[sorry I can't seem to get multiple attachments in firefox or opera so it's going to be multiple messages!]

Hi Adrian,

That's great! :)

The forum software allows only one attachment per message. Which is fine, because you can add a caption to each without any confusion about which picture you mean.

As you say, I think you may have stretched the gimped image too much lengthwise. Those switches don't look like 18ft and 15ft switches in the original -- that would be equivalent to D and C running-line switches. Judging by the number of timbers the switch rails are spanning I think they are probably 12ft switches. Maybe shorter.

It's fun to do though isn't it? Many thanks for the gimping feedback. :) I may have a go at it myself and we can compare notes.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > Point rodding pics + Gimping turnout photos
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020