author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 Jul 2007 08:53

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear all,

There is a new Templot Pug version 091b available for downloading if you would like to try it.

(Pug = Pilot UpGrade)

It's now several months since 091a, which was the first version using the later compiler.

091a has proved to be stable, so this new version 091b has reverted to installing in your C:TEMPLOT folder, so using your existing launch shortcuts and replacing your previous Templot version there. (091a installed in its own C:TEMPLOT_PUG_09 folder.)

However, it's still a change of compiler from 082d and earlier, so please make backup copies of your important Templot data files before overwriting them using 091b.

Here's the download link: http://www.templot.com/tug/templot_pug_091c_setup.exe

[revised for 091c]

What's new in 091b? Here's a brief list. I will update the web site with more details shortly:
  • Multiple monitors are now supported. There is an extra dialog during startup with more information if you have multiple monitors available on your system. For best results arrange the primary monitor to be on the left.
  • I have made some changes in terminology. I know this will be contentious for existing users, but the idea is to make things easier to understand for new users:

The "current template" has been renamed "the control template". This was the only term I could find which made clear both its unique nature and the fact that it is a design tool, not a part of the track plan. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions about this at different times.

This then required some further changes to remove the word "control" elsewhere:
    The "control" menu has been renamed the "main" menu.
    The "control room" window has been renamed the "program panel".

"Portrait" printing has been renamed "end-run". "Landscape" printing has been renamed "side-run". There are some notes about these meanings at print > page orientation/origin > ? orientation - help menu item.

In addition the "drawing pad" has been renamed the "workpad", to make clear that Templot is not a CAD-style drawing program.

• There is a new HTML-based viewer for the internal Help notes. At present the content is largely unchanged, but it will now be possible to include diagrams and screenshots in the notes in future. The printed output from the Help viewer is now much improved also.

• There is a new option to match the template length when using the align functions. tools > align options > menu options. This is now a more convenient alternative to the insert turnout in plain track and obtain functions when you want to insert a customized template into an existing location.

• New option for the F6 curving mouse action to maintain the swing angle constant by adjusting the template length accordingly (constant-radius templates only, not transition curve templates). There are some Help notes about this at action > F6 curving options > menu options.
  • New mouse action: adjust crossing entry straight for a regular-type V-crossing. action > mouse actions: real > adjust V-crossing entry straight menu item. Increasing the crossing entry straight is a convenient way to shorten a turnout without changing to a smaller turnout size. Previously this required the data to be entered manually, needing a lot of trial and error to get the desired result. The new mouse action makes it much easier to see what's happening. Unfortunately there are no keyboard shortcuts available to assign to this, so it's necessary to go into the menu.

• The gauge and scale > menu options on the workpad have been moved to the template menu, where they more logically belong. There is still a duplicate access via the session > gauge and scale... menu item on the program panel dialog at startup.
Changes from 091a:

The strange minimizing behaviour has been cured (I hope). When zooming with the mouse wheel, the direction sense now reflects the paper/scroll option on the panning dialog. You can therefore set whichever direction you prefer.

Several other minor changes and bug fixes have been made.

Comments and feedback welcome as always. Please make sure 091b is in the subject line if reporting problems. Please feel free to report small cosmetic issues too -- the new compiler doesn't always get things right. For example the nested scrollbars on the information dialog  don't always repaint properly. Many thanks.

Since the above was written there is a later version 091c with further useful features -- details at:

topic 330

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Jul 2007 16:25

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

I look forward to trying this out later on...
Multiple monitors are now supported. There is an extra dialog during startup with more information if you have multiple monitors available on your system.
...especially that bit!!  I hope we don't get complaints about one more tap to get Templot to open, if that is the case.

I have made some changes in terminology. I know this will be contentious for existing users, but the idea is to make things easier to understand for new users:
I guess we'll get used to it :)

"Portrait" printing has been renamed "end-run". "Landscape" printing has been renamed "side-run".
Hmmm.........  I personally think that's more confusing, but then I never did understand why a very few people had problems with Portrait and Landscape.  A template running along the long edge of the screen printed out along the long edge of the paper.  Simple?

The other changes look useful.  I hope the strange minimizing action has been sorted finally.  I'll let you know.  The mouse wheel one won't affect me though - I no longer even have a mouse attached to my PC :)

Cheers

posted: 19 Jul 2007 17:01

Brian W Lewis

Lakeland - United Kingdom

Hi Martin!

Thanks for that! I had stuck with .82 up til now, but I have now upgraded to .91b. It's looking good (though I don't do much sophisticated stuff like the two-monitor thing). An excellent program has just got even better. Thanks for your efforts - they are greatly appreciated.
Last edited on 19 Jul 2007 17:02 by Brian W Lewis
posted: 19 Jul 2007 17:49

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments.
Multiple monitors are now supported. There is an extra dialog during startup with more information if you have multiple monitors available on your system....
especially that bit!!  I hope we don't get complaints about one more tap to get Templot to open, if that is the case.
Only users with multiple monitors enabled will see the extra dialog. I want to tidy up the startup and get everything into a single dialog. Some things are now redundant -- not many users will still be using a system upgraded from Windows 3.1, so the "low-memory" option can be scrapped. However, it's important that things get set up in the proper order, so making changes needs some care.

I'd be grateful if you can report your findings with the extra monitor(s). I'm not sure that all the windows and pop-ups appear in the best place. I'm not even sure that I have much control over it -- Windows seems to have a mind of its own on this. :(

Using dual monitors needs some practice with zooming and panning -- otherwise you find that the part that you are focused on is always right across the screen split. :( For this reason you might find it more user-friendly to set the pad to something less than the full double screen width.

I think perhaps that three monitors is the ideal setup...:)
"Portrait" printing has been renamed "end-run". "Landscape" printing has been renamed "side-run".
Hmmm.........  I personally think that's more confusing, but then I never did understand why a very few people had problems with Portrait and Landscape. A template running along the long edge of the screen printed out along the long edge of the paper. Simple?
I have always thought so, and it makes even more sense with dual monitors where the pad is much wider but no taller. But clearly some folks found it confusing. We can keep changing the terminology until we find something which suits everyone, but certainly the functionality isn't going to change -- it's far too convenient as it is!
I hope the strange minimizing action has been sorted finally.
I hope so. Bear in mind that the the best way to minimize Templot is and always has been to press the  PAUSE/BREAK key on the keyboard (top right).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Jul 2007 00:28

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin
Only users with multiple monitors enabled will see the extra dialog. I want to tidy up the startup and get everything into a single dialog.
One tiny, tiny little niggle - when starting Templot it isn't now possible to just bash 'Return' to go through the defaults because an "About screen fonts" dialogue pops up that doesn't have a default button action :) Could the "Continue" button be made a default? The additional dialogue for multiple monitors is fine - I just hit 'Return' and carry on.
I'd be grateful if you can report your findings with the extra monitor(s). I'm not sure that all the windows and pop-ups appear in the best place. I'm not even sure that I have much control over it -- Windows seems to have a mind of its own on this. :(
...but other than that, it's absolutely brilliant!  I'm not worried about pop-ups not popping up in the best place because no program seems to do that and I end moving them anyway if I want.  In fact, they seem fine so far.

The minimise function seems to work OK, but the maximise doesn't.  What's happening is that if I hit the maximise button with Templot across both monitors, it maximises to the primary monitor.  I have a little utility called Ultramon that has it's own maximise button, so I don't know whether there's a clash with this or if it's a Windows thing.  Actually, I just closed Ultramon down, and the same thing happens - it isn't possible to hit the maximise button to maximise across both screens.  Other programs, such as Firefox, do this OK, with or without Ultramon.
Using dual monitors needs some practice with zooming and panning -- otherwise you find that the part that you are focused on is always right across the screen split. :( For this reason you might find it more user-friendly to set the pad to something less than the full double screen width. I think perhaps that three monitors is the ideal setup...:)
It took me a while to get used to the screen split, but to be honest I don't notice it as much now - possibly helped by also having dual monitors at work.  I did seriously consider three monitors at home, but decided that would be a tad excessive!  Just for interest so that those people who are only using one monitor can see what they're missing, a Templot screenshot is attached.

Thanks for sorting out this dual monitor functionality.  For me, it's a significant upgrade!

Cheers
Attachment: attach_32_widescreen.PNG 799

posted: 20 Jul 2007 04:01

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the feedback.
One tiny, tiny little niggle - when starting Templot it isn't now possible to just bash 'Return' to go through the defaults because an "About screen fonts" dialogue pops up that doesn't have a default button action :) Could the "Continue" button be made a default? The additional dialogue for multiple monitors is fine - I just hit 'Return' and carry on.
That's a serious bug. Thanks for finding it -- the continue button should be the default on the new Help dialog. I will get it fixed pronto.

I don't normally see the fonts dialog because all my systems are set to 120dpi and it doesn't then appear. If you are still on 96dpi it's easy to conclude that your eyes are younger than mine! :)

I have just checked that dialog wording and it is overdue for an update anyway for Windows XP/Vista.
I'm not worried about pop-ups not popping up in the best place because no program seems to do that and I end moving them anyway if I want. In fact, they seem fine so far.
I'm glad it's working ok. However, you might want to try again with the primary monitor on the right (which means the secondary screen co-ordinates are negative).
The minimise function seems to work OK, but the maximise doesn't. What's happening is that if I hit the maximise button with Templot across both monitors, it maximises to the primary monitor.
As far as I know that's the correct Windows behaviour -- maximizing a window should cause it to fill only whichever screen is currently containing the larger proportion of it. Certainly that's the way that all programs are working here -- including Firefox. No doubt there is a Windows setting somewhere which affects this. Or maybe it's graphics card thing. Presumably if you want a window to fill all monitors you are intended to resize it manually and then use Restore.

I will add a "maximize the workpad across all monitors" button somewhere handy to make this more convenient.

Thanks again for your feedback and for the screenshot -- that should improve monitor sales no end! :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 21 Jul 2007 02:42

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Thanks for another great step forward with this update I have just had little play and all appears to be OK. Its nice to be able to minimize with the minus button again as I kept forgetting to use the 'Pause/Break' key.

I will get my head around the changed terminology.

The new features are very handy I Hadn't realized that you could alter the straight in front of the 'V' and then to find that you can do it and with a mouse action as well very useful.:)

Cheers Phil

posted: 21 Jul 2007 08:58

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
The minimise function seems to work OK, but the maximise doesn't.  What's happening is that if I hit the maximise button with Templot across both monitors, it maximises to the primary monitor.
Hi Paul,

Some more info for you.

On my system, Maximize is to a single monitor, Shift+Maximize causes a window to maximize across both monitors. This is working with Templot.

Also, while a program is minimized, right-clicking on its tab on the taskbar brings up a whole range of options from the graphics card driver (nVidia in my case) relating to the behaviour of the various windows and dialogs across multiple monitors. I have yet to explore them all. If everyone sees the same I can design Templot's bahaviour around it, but I suspect that it is graphics-card specific.

Hope this helps,

Martin.

posted: 22 Jul 2007 19:01

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin

On my system, Maximize is to a single monitor, Shift+Maximize causes a window to maximize across both monitors. This is working with Templot.
Mine isn't now doing what it was the other day!  Shift+Maximise has no different effect to Maximise on its own in any program, so I think you're right in that all this is graphics card dependant!  I'm now also running nVidia, but the card is relatively old.

posted: 23 Jul 2007 02:33

Phil O

Hi Martin

I am trying to do a tandem turnout and swaping between the video and workpad and I am occasionally getting part templates over or under shadowing each other on the screen. See screen shot attached. By shutting templot down after saving the templates and the restarting it settles down for a while and then reoccurs again the time span varies each time it happens.

Any ideas?

Cheers Phil
Attachment: attach_34_Templot_screen_shot.PNG 720

posted: 23 Jul 2007 03:41

Martin Wynne

Phil O wrote:
I am trying to do a tandem turnout and swapping between the video and workpad and I am occasionally getting part templates over or under shadowing each other on the screen. See screen shot attached. By shutting Templot down after saving the templates and the restarting it settles down for a while and then recurs again the time span varies each time it happens.
Hi Phil,

Hmm. Interesting. I've checked on your screenshot and the client area being correctly repainted is exactly 800 x 600 pixels. These numbers aren't contained anywhere in Templot, so they can only have come from your graphics card.

Is anyone else seeing anything similar? It's possible something has gone wrong in the new code for multiple monitors. But on balance I think this may be a problem with your graphics card or the graphics memory thereon. That the problem recurs after variable time span suggests that the card may be overheating. The fact that you have the Camtasia video player running at the same time may be contributing to this. Does the problem occur when using Templot without the video? What happens if you change your system to a lower colour quality/depth? In Templot there is no advantage in using true 32-bit colour, results are just as good in 16-bit (medium quality) colour, and the load on your graphics card is halved.

When this problem occurs, what happens if you launch some other application, say Windows Notepad, and drag its window around over the Templot workpad? What happens if you minimize Templot and then maximize it again? What happens if you simply press F12 ?

Sorry this is all questions and no answers. :(

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Jul 2007 17:23

Phil O

Hi Martin

"Does the problem occur when using Templot without the video?"

I have no problems when not using Camtasia.

"What happens if you change your system to a lower colour quality/depth? In Templot there is no advantage in using true 32-bit colour, results are just as good in 16-bit (medium quality) colour, and the load on your graphics card is halved."

I have used it for an hour or so on the lower resolution with no further problems.:D

Many thanks for your assistance, the only minor problem now is that the change to 0.91b is that the terminology in the video is for 0.91a and I had to scratch my head for a few minutes but I have got it sorted now.

Thanks again Phil

PS stil can't get my head around putting the quote in a little box.

posted: 24 Jul 2007 03:05

Martin Wynne

Phil O wrote:
I have used it for an hour or so on the lower resolution with no further problems.:D
Hi Phil,

I'm glad that seems to have fixed it. Let me know if you have further problems.
Still can't get my head around putting the quote in a little box.
I see from the screenshot that you are using the Opera browser. Unfortunately the Templot Club forum software provides only a simple text editor for Opera:

quote_opera.pngquote_opera.png

If you click the " " quote button (outlined red here), the quote and /quote tags in square brackets will be generated. You can then cut and paste the text to be quoted between them. When you click the Preview button, you will see that the text will appear as a boxed quote in the final message.

Or alternatively you can simply type in the tags manually, exactly as shown here. You can do that in other browsers too.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 9 Oct 2007 21:36

Mike Clifford

Hello Martin,

1. Does Pug 091b include any simpler procedures for single and double slips compared with 082d?

2. Are there amy simple procedures for producing tandem turnouts?  I am having difficulty drawing the common crossing for the two 'branch' roads.

3.  If not, are any preformed templates availablle for downloading?

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike Clifford

posted: 10 Oct 2007 19:52

Martin Wynne

Mike Clifford wrote:
1. Does Pug 091b include any simpler procedures for single and double slips compared with 082d?
Hi Mike,

No, 091b doesn't contain anything more than 082d regarding slips. There is a video showing how to create a slip in 082d in the video list at:

topic 12

There is also an older tutorial page at:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/pug_slips.htm

which was based on version 078e (itself a big step forward from doing a slip in 074b).

2. Are there any simple procedures for producing tandem turnouts? I am having difficulty drawing the common crossing for the two 'branch' roads.
There is also a video showing the basics of how to create a 3-way tandem in the above list.

3. If not, are any preformed templates available for downloading?
Yes, several tandem .box files have been uploaded over the years. There is one in EM at:

topic 29

and one in H0 on this page:

http://www.templot.com/dummy/rene_tandem.htm

If you search for tandem in the forum and the Yahoo group archive you will find many messages about creating tandem turnouts.

Sorry there isn't a single unified tutorial for tandems -- it's deferred until we get gaunt turnouts and negative turnout radius in a future pug (which will make it easier).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Nov 2007 09:21

Martin Wynne

Dear all,

I have just noticed a request for information about version 091b on Templot Chat, so I thought I would bump this topic back up the list.

Pug version 091b is available only to Templot Club members so that I can be sure of getting feedback about any problems (not that there have been many). Please read this topic from the top before downloading 091b.

The main changes in 091b from 082d are:

1. Support for multiple monitors.

2. Support for mouse wheel functions -- including an extremely useful SHIFT+CTRL+ROLL function which is equivalent to CTRL+U and CTRL+D in accessing the rollback register for the current/control template.

3. The Open and Save file dialog windows are now re-sizable. This is very handy if you have lots of files to search through.

4. There is a new mouse action adjustment for the entry straight setting on regular-type V-crossings. This is useful when you need to shorten a turnout a little without changing the switch size or the V-crossing angle.

5. The current template has been re-named the control template.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 21 Nov 2007 17:13

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I still appear to be on 82C. Am I missing out on some updates please?

Regards

Brian Lewis

posted: 21 Nov 2007 17:28

Martin Wynne

Brian Lewis wrote:
I still appear to be on 82C. Am I missing out on some updates please?
Hi Brian,

You are missing the changes available in 082d and 091b. Details of 082d only at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/templot/message/7047

Details of all changes since 078e to 082d at:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/pug_info_2.htm

Details of subsequent changes in 091b are at the  top of this topic.

There are some menu and terminology changes in 091b, so you may prefer to stay at 082d until the tutorials and docs have been updated.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > ADMIN: New Templot Pug 091b
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020